Thursday, November 1, 2012

Asking blogs to review your book

I'm relatively new to blogging and am finding lots of advice on how to do so.  First off, if you want a blog to review your book, you must read their review request form over carefully and follow their special instructions if they have any.  I think this is to keep people from sending the same boilerplate request to any and every blog they see (using what I call the shotgun method) in the hopes that a few will agree to read and review their book.  I tend to shy away from form letters that are sent to me, and I try to not send out a form letter to anyone. 

Keep in mind that you should only ask blogs that deal with your type of book (trad or indie) and your genre.  It would be frustrating for me if I started reviewing books and stated that I didn't review a certain genre and got requests from a person asking me to review a book in that very genre anyway.  So read the blog over to make certain they are:  1.  Currently accepting requests.  2.  They are interested in your book's genre.  3.  If they have any detailed instructions on how to query them. 

It should go without saying that if you want someone to invest their valuable time in reading and reviewing your book, you shouldn't ask them to pay to do so.  I can't imagine having to tell someone this, but I suppose some people figure they've invested a lot of time in their book and therefore everyone should fork out some money in order to read it.  However, if you are serious about marketing your book, think of it as you would any other product and think of new products you see in the stores--most stores around here have dedicated kiosks that are handing out free samples of new products.  So, if you're a new writer in search of a market, you've got to be willing to give out a few samples to let people try it before they buy it.  If they like it and tell others who trust their opinion, you'll more than make up the "loss"! 

Next, you should be persistent but not annoying when marketing your book.  If you aren't on social media sites, you should be, and when your book is launched, you should make your pages reflect that fact and make an announcement about it every so often, especially if you are having a special on your book.  By special, I mean coupons, contests to give away free copies, and the like, all of which will bring more attention and interest to your book.  But, there's a fine line between being enthusiastic and being annoying.  Try and network with others in your new field, watch what they do, and learn by example. 
 
Lastly, you need to be patient.  Most of your first copies are going to be bought and/or given to family and friends.  For me, this is not an issue.  I began writing as a hobby to amuse my friends with daydreams I made up while bored in school.  Yes, I am paid as a medical writer in my job every day, but being a paid book author is a new experience for me.  However, I'm still at my day job and have no delusions of becoming an overnight literary success.  Heck, I'll consider myself a success when someone I don't know reads my book and says they like it, since I think family and friends are sometimes just being polite when they gush about something I've written, and an independent opinion or three will tell me whether I've got true potential as an author or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment