Sunday, March 11, 2012

Random writing notes

Today, I was asked if I write strictly from stream of consciousness and then edit or if I edit as I go along. Since I began by writing down daydreams, I tend to have a story idea and then daydream it as I'm writing and describe what I see in the daydream. I go back and edit and revise after the fact, since I have a tendency to repeat details as I'm worried I will leave them out, and I don't want to bog a story down with repetition, so editing is a very necessary and often lengthy process for me.

I ask my trusted preview readers to honestly critique my work and let me know if they think something about a story I've written really sucks, and I will change it if it won't adversely affect the story I'm telling--sorry dear readers, but in order for a story to feel real sometimes beloved characters have to leave or die. Some suggestions for changes have resulted in the creation of new characters who played crucial parts in sequels. I'm referring to my first book series (Fallen Angels, Testimony Of The Gods, Thirdbreed, Motherworld, and Biomech), which unfortunately is long lost due to computer crashes. I can re-create them all, but I just don't have the time right now.

I don't even have time now to expand a short story into a book as requested by my sweetie, though given the current trend in popular stories I probably should expand upon and finish The Shaman's Daughters and in addition finish the outline and start writing Queen Of Vampires (working title). But, there's that whole earning money to put food on the table and a roof over the head that interferes with my writing these books. First, I need to see if I can get an audience for at least a trilogy based on the universe I've created (five to seven more books are nagging at me that they want to take place in this universe as well), as Battle Royale is finished, the sequel's rough draft is finished, and I'm currently stalled halfway through the rough draft for the conclusion to that series since I'm concentrating on seeing about getting Battle published. It's a lot of work looking into being published, but I find it to be interesting work.

No comments:

Post a Comment